Jan 12, 2012

Tomato Pepper Jack Soup (like Issac's!)

I go to Issac's, a Pennsylvania sandwich chain, just for this soup.  Today it's rainy and gray and gross and I don't feel like getting dressed but I wanted this soup so I decided to try and recreate it at home.   Here's what I did and I think it's pretty close.



Ingredients:
2 cans of condensed tomato soup
1 14-oz. can of petite diced tomatoes
8 oz of pepperjack cheese (or Monterey Jack cheese plus 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes), shredded
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1/2 tsp of dried basil
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp onion powder

Combine everything except the cream in a heavy stockpot over low heat and stir frequently with a spatula so the cheese doesn't burn to the bottom.  Allow this to heat slowly and maintain a simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste your soup.  If the cheese is still grainy, keep it over the heat for a little while longer. Stir in the cream just before serving.  Top with homemade croutons.

Homemade croutons?  I cut up two hard rolls into one inch cubes.  You can't use sandwich bread, it's too soft.  Toss the bread with one stick of melted butter in a large skillet.  Make sure all of the bread gets butter on it and then spread on a cookie sheet and stick it in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.  Easy peasy and sooo much better than the bagged ones at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment